Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Raver days

I'm abondoning a lifetime of convention for a job based on fiction, or as they say in the buisness, "based on truth under imaginary circumstances." Theater. I'm going to be a professor. A professor of beautiful fiction. I could live in a world of beautiful fictions. I think I do. Seeing as how a majority of my time I'm only surround myself with books and plays. I get to write a play for my senior thesis. I wonder which story I'll tell or "embellish". I have stories to last me a lifetime. One of my favorites is my first rave. the raver days...


We were 14 and it was Halloween night. My best friend Nicole and I had our friend drop us off in the St. Jude parking lot around 9pm. We figured that a church parking lot would be safest on Halloween night, although G-d knows why. There we were, two fourteen year old girls, alone in a parking lot in the dark scared and paranoid. I was the good kid. I never lied. Tonight I told my folks I was staying at Nicole's. I was sure G-d was going to strike me down for this one. I was waiting for the sudden lightening bolt.


First, we sat and put on pounds of silly raver make-up. Pink and purple eyeshadow, hot pink lipstick, and we glittered our bodies until it looked like we got attacked by some angry fairies. Then came the outfits. I was wearing a huge pair of hot pink UFO's with a black shirt that was really small enough to be a handkerchief, silver wings, and a hot pink wig. And tons of candy (for those not familiar with raver lingo, candy are those multicolored bracelets and necklaces that ravers wear). Nicole was in a pair of silver UFO's with a black tiny tank top and a small black hoodie. Her hair was platinum blonde and blacklight responsive. All of this was hour one.


Our ride counldn't pick us up until 12:30, so this left us with a considerable amount of time to kill before the main event. "We could tell scary stories." suggested Nicole. "When we are alone and already paranoid of getting caught on Halloween night? I don't think so." I replied. "Fine. Let's go play on the playground then." she said. We walked over to the playground area. Nicole ran ahead then suddenly stopped in her tarcks. I thought my heart stopped for a moment. She whispered something and turned and started running full speed past me back around the back side of the building. I bolted after her my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. "W-w-what was it?" I asked breathlessly. "Did you say "Dad"?" I asked. "No, I said Dog." She replied. "It was a guy walking his dog. I don't know if he saw me." she whispered. "It's ok. We'll go check in a minute." I replied. Nicole had been leaning against the building and she slide down into a sitting position. I fell into a sit beside her. We sat for a while trying to slow our breathing. Once it was back to normal, Niocole began laughing histerically.


"What's so funny?" I demanded. "Us." she laughed. "We are just being stupid. We aren't gonna get caught." she said as if to reassure herself. "So, what do you think about this beanie?" she asked. She put a grey wool cap on and turned her head from side to sied to model it. Suddenly a floying black figure swooped down and got caught in her hat. We both started screaming. "OMIGOD WHAT IS IT?" screamed Nicole. "I THINK IT"S A BIRD." I shouted. "GET IT OFF!!!" "I CAN'T IT'S STUCK!" More screaming. Nicole threw the hat with the writhing bird on the ground. The bird finally freed itself and flew away. At this point we were holding each other for dear life. "I knew it." I said. "I lied, and now I'm being punished. I knew it." We finally clamed ourselves a second time and found a quiet corner to wait in until our ride arrived. By that time we were both horribly on edge.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

I like this a lot, especially the first part:

I'm abondoning a lifetime of convention for a job based on fiction, or as they say in the buisness, "based on truth under imaginary circumstances." Theater.

Who says you can't make a living in the theater, anyway?

9:57 PM  
Blogger Rex Adventure said...

My really mean father.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home